Field Day 2015 Video and Presentation

If you missed the July meeting then you missed the Field Day 2015 Presentation.  If you missed the email then you missed the video!

Posted in Events and Activities | Comments Off on Field Day 2015 Video and Presentation

June 2015 Business Meeting Minutes

The June, 2015 meeting was called to order by our President, Bob / N3PPH at approximately 7:35 pm. There were 17 members in attendance.

A new member was voted into the association by a unanimous vote. He is Ed Zumstein, WB6NCO. Ed is an Extra class license holder. Welcome Ed!

The minutes for the May meeting were approved as posted on the website with corrections.

Treasurer’s Report

Our bank balance was reported to be $2,313.77.
General Fund : $1,793.77
Prince Fredrick Project: $500.00

The Treasurerʼs Report was accepted by unanimous vote.

Board of Directors Meeting

No Meeting held due to scheduling conflicts.

Committee Reports

Newsletter

Monica / KC3DAS reports that the newsletter will be out after Field Day.

Repeater Committee

The Repeater Committee will meet following the regular meeting. This will be a technical discussion of the Prince Fredrick project.

New 1/2” Heliax cable and connectors were purchased and delivered.

Those who have pledged money toward the project should make their donations ASAP so the project can be completed.

Public Service

The Ranch Club 5K was successfully supported. A good time was had by all who were there.

Station Committee

The Station Committee requests that any equipment being left at the station be labeled so it can be determined from whence it came. Also please e-mail a list of what was donated to a club officer(s). Our e-mail addresses are on the website.

The Access List for the station needs to be updated.

Education Committee

An Extra Class will be completed this month and the students will be testing as soon as they can.

Our support for the Cub Scouts was a success. The scouts built crystal radios. Steve, Don, and Ron supported this effort.

ACS (ARES / RACES)

Radiological training was given as a 2 hour session. This will support an upcoming exercise.

Tropical Storm awareness week is upcoming.

A replacement antenna for Mt. Hope has been approved and ordered by the county. Climbers need to be scheduled.

New Business

It was proposed that all the 50/50 Drawings be redirected to the Prince Fredrick Fund for this year. The motion passed with a unanimous vote.

Nominating Committee

Three members of the 2015 Nominating Committee are Peter, KB3XMB, Shawn, N3AE, and Steve, N3IPN.

50-50 Drawing

…was won by Bob, N3PPH. He kept $5.00 and donated back to the club $50.00.

Field Day Committee

Field Day will be held at the Broomes Island Community Center this year. The address for the Broomes Island Community Center is 4080 School Road.

Signs need to be put up on Route 4 to direct folks to the Field Day site. A 3KW quiet generator was rented for our Field Day effort. Dave, N3TZO will coordinate the power distribution.

CARA banners will be erected at the site.

Informational literature is on hand and will be set up inside the entrance to the building.

Sign up sheets were passed around to have additions to equipment listed for each station. We are planning a 3A station with a free GOTA Station (W3PQS) and free multi-band VHF stations.

A 10′ X 10ʼ canopy with sides will be available for Food, etc. The grill will be near the entrance.

Several invited guests have returned regrets that they wonʼt be able to attend.  Additional guests have been invited and we donʼt have a reply yet. Several suggestions
were made to add to the invitee list.

Computers for logging contacts will use the latest version of the N3FJP Field Day software. Each station will need a laptop computer with wireless capability and the software installed. The club owns a copy of the software, which can be shared amongthe computers. (See Bob, N3PPH for software.)

Steve is the Antenna Master, and will coordinate antenna placement, etc.

A food list has been started. Amanda is coordinating food. Contact her to add food to the list. The stove and refrigerator are available for storage and cooking of food.  Don, KR3A will bring the coffee pot.

Receipts for items purchase for Field Day should be given to Monica, who will pass them along to treasurer for payment.

Other

Yaesu will be providing 10 System Fusion T-Shirts.  Bob, N3PPH, will distribute these to those who purchased System Fusion radios.

Meeting Adjourned at approximately 9:20 PM.

Posted in Meeting Minutes | Comments Off on June 2015 Business Meeting Minutes

May CARA Business Meeting Minutes

Meeting called to order by Bob N3PPH at 2010 after a lively swapfest in the parking lot with about 15 folks participating as vendors. Noted that we had 22 members and 5 Guests from SMCARA.

Minutes approved as posted on website.

Treasurer’s report accepted. About $2000 in treasury.

Activity Committee

CRE Fun Walk/Run on May 25. Volunteers ready for the event.

Rosaryville Run on July 19. Looking for volunteers.

Fundraising Committee

Letter to Calvert hams is ready to go

Station Committee

Steve N3IPN is station manager. 4band vertical available.

Education Commttee

Extra Class continues. Testing May 30 at 10AM under auspices of Laurel VRE. Invite all hams to test but please preregister.

HS Ham Club finished for the year. Several students interested in further studies.

Cub Scouts Crystal Radio build May 21 7PM

AuxComm

ARES

ARESnet after CARAnet. 1st Monday switch to UHF repeater.

3rd Monday switch to 10 meters

RACES

Saturday training to be determined in future.

Exercise on July 9; participants need to attend county emergency services training on May 14.

CALVEX in Sept; possible in new alternate EOC.

Antenna approved by county; 2mtr, 6dB gain with outrigger. Needs requisition. Working on installation details.

Persons entering tower site building must sign in/out. Make sure alarm is set and call in when done.

Alternate EOC: CARA has 2 positions, cables under raised floor, rack in storage room for radios, ESF2 & ESF6 are collocated in EOC, antennas on roof.

MEMA grant for county to get antenna tower trailer. Possible for CARA to use for FD in future.

2 antenna positions on Barstow tower, ca. 2017

Mt Hope antenna: County might allow 2 telephone poles for wire antenna. Look to SMECO for donation of poles and installation.

24 hour access to Mt Hope: tabled for present

Go Kits for shelters: recommend complete 2mtr/440 stations with masts and antennas for shelters. Possibly FRS handie-talkies for pet shelter at Prince Frederick HS.

Repeater Committee

440 machine working. 2 mtr has continuing drop out problem. Yaesu has been contacted.

Prince Frederick repeater project

Still in progress, working with SHA to coordinate antenna placement.

Smaller antenna than previously proposed,

Surplus LD4 ½” line available. Shawn has 7/8” line. We will purchase ½” line and swap with Shawn. Motion by Dave KB3RAN, 2nd by Don KRA to purchase 1000’ roll for $500 and to sell excess not needed for project to members at cost. Vote 18 aye, 4 nay. Passed.

Will need matching and phasing networks. UHF antenna looked good. VHF was a little rough.

Newsletter

Just went out.

Field Day

Broome’s Island. Monica KC3DAS will resend FD checklist as .pdf file.

Invitation to officials to be sent soon.

Planning meeting scheduled for May 19 at 7PM at County Services Center.

Budgeted for $200. Consider renting quiet generator

New Business

Vests: Order for 36 vest purchase for $280. Motion to purchase vests by Dave KB3RAN, 2nd by Chip K3AWD. Passed unanimously. Bob N3PPH to purchase.

Club Build Project: Log Periodic Antenna. 20 element. 2mtr/440. Email to members to attain interest level.

Adjourned 21:15. 50/50 of $44 won by Dave W3PQS, who donated $39 back to club.

r/s David Hardy KB3RAN

Posted in Meeting Minutes | Comments Off on May CARA Business Meeting Minutes

June meeting coming up!

It’s almost meeting time, again.  The June meeting will be held at the County Services Building at 7:30PM on Thursday, June 4th.  This meeting will be the last before Field Day so we’ll likely be spending the majority of the time working out the last minute details.

Posted in Meeting Annoucement | Comments Off on June meeting coming up!

February CARA Business Meeting Minutes

The February, 2015 meeting was called to order by our President, Bob / N3PPH at approximately 7:40 pm. There were 19 members in attendance.

The minutes for the December January meeting were approved as posted on the website.

Treasurerʼs Report

Our bank balance was reported to be $1,1604. In addition, $67.26 received via PayPal and $80.00 in cash. Total $1,722.05.

Board of Directors Meeting

  1. The Treasurer will forward forms to the ARRL of those members who renew their ARRL membership through the club.
  2. Club members need not submit a new information form when renewing their club membership unless their information has changed.
  3. At the May meeting, we will hold a Tailgate Fest. All are invited to bring your excess equipment or other stuff, to sell or trade.

Committee Reports

Field Day Committee

Monica reports that Dick, N3VKW, has secured the use of the Broomes Island Community Center for our Field Day effort this year. More info will be coming. Monica requests info on equipment and operators available for Field Day.

Newsletter

Monica, KC3DAS, requests any pictures, announcements, etc. for the club newsletter.

Repeater Committee

  1. The new Yeasu repeater that was used for our 440 MHz repeater has died and is being sent back to Yeasu for repair.
  2. The “Prince Frederick Project” was discussed by Eric / W4OTN. A meeting has been set up with state officials to firm up our tower position and other details.

Public Service Committee

Les, KH6CUJ, reported on race and other events that are in the planning stages.

For public services, the club purchased 36 vests with the club logo on them. They are available in various sizes, at cost ($10.00 each) to association members. The vests were on sale before and after the meeting.

Station Committee

The Station Committee requests that any equipment being left at the station be labeled so it can be determined from whence it came. Also please e-mail a list of what was donated to a club officer(s). Our e-mail addresses are on the website.

Education Committee

  1. An Extra Class has been scheduled starting March 10th until June 9th. The classes will be held on Tuesdays except for the ARES Meeting Tuesdays. See Shawn / N3AE for more information.
  2. The Calverton School will be holding their STEM Fair on March 20th. Our club will support this effort. We will set up a station and other demos. Assistance is needed, as well as a portable station. See Shawn / N3AE.
  3. The group at the Huntingtown High School met on January 24th. There were 6 students and their parents were in attendance. The group continued to work on their crystal radio projects.

ARES / RACES

Shawn, N3AE, and Bill, N3XMZ, led the discussion of the differences between ARES and RACES. He introduced a plan to form ACS (Auxiliary Communications Service), which will be co-chaired by Eric, W4OTN, and Bill, N3XMZ.

Our association will support public service events and provide ARES / RACES reporting to the appropriate agency. Training and badging are being worked. Following our CARA Net on Monday evenings, ACS will have training nets.


 

The 50-50 Drawing was won by Bill, N3XMZ, and donated back to the club $ 20.00.

Nominating Committee for 2015

Three members are needed for the 2015 Nominating Committee. The following have volunteered:

  • Peter, KB3XMB
  • Shawn, N3AE
  • Steve, N3IPN

2014 Audit Committee Report

Don / KR3A reports for the committee that all is correct and in order as of December 31, 2014. The written report has been submitted to the board.

New Business

It is proposed that we send out postcards to new hams in our area. A discussion ensued to get information on new hams in the area. A motion to send out postcards to new hams in the area passed unanimously.

Don / KR3A has requested that an updated membership list be sent out when available. A request was made to move the CARA Net from 7:00 pm to 7:30 pm on Mondays to allow members to commute home prior to the net.

Written changes to the CARA By-Laws were submitted and discussed at length. The Board will discuss the proposals and report back to the membership.

Monica, KC3DAS, will be Cookie Monster at our March meeting.

Posted in Meeting Minutes | Comments Off on February CARA Business Meeting Minutes

January CARA Business Meeting Minutes

The January 2015 meeting was called to order by our President, Bob / N3PPH at 8:15 pm. The meeting was held on January 8th due to the New Yearʼs holiday.  There were 15 persons in attendance, including three visitors. All three visitors applied for membership in CARA. They are:

  • Brian Walker, KB6PJF
  • Naomi Walker, No Call, Yet (Associate Member)
  • Ken Skaggs, AB3WJ

All three were voted into the Association unanimously. Welcome to our new members!

The minutes for the November meeting were approved as posted on the website.

Audit Committee

The Audit Report was postponed, due to the outside workload of the Treasurer. The report on the audit results will be presented at the February meeting.

Treasurerʼs Report

Our bank balance was reported to be $1,477.09. Outstanding expenses are for the Prince Fredrick Project antennas are not included in this total.

Station Committee

The station is down to only one antenna following the failure of the vertical antenna due to weather. A 4BTV Hustler vertical is being obtained for the station.

Repeater Committee

The “Prince Fredrick Project” is being worked using the new DR-1X repeater. Antennas have been purchased along with the mounting brackets.

Public Relations Committee

Support for several races are being planned this year.

Education Committee

A EXTRA Class has been scheduled starting March 10th until June 9th. The classes will be held on Tuesdays except for the ARES Meeting Tuesdays. See Shawn / N3AE for more information.

The Calverton School will be holding their STEM Fair on March 20th. Our club will support this effort.

Newsletter

Monica reports that the newsletter will be out soon.

Special Events Committee

No report.

RACES

Several tower / antenna sites are in the approval cycle.


The 50-50 Drawing was won by Monica / KC3DAS won $25 and donated back to the club $20.

New Business

For public services, the club will purchase 36 vests with the club logo on them. They will be available in various sizes, at cost ($10.00 each) to association members.

Posted in Meeting Minutes | Comments Off on January CARA Business Meeting Minutes